Your daily dose of true beauty advice… Anger always requires a judge, because they are the ones who make judgments. In the Old Testament metaphor, something can be displeasing “in my eyes” or “in your eyes” or “in the eyes of … Continue reading
“Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger.”
In his recent article, “The Angry Person: Always the Last to Know,” Ed Welch of CCEF discusses why individuals with sinful patterns of anger often remain unconvinced they have a problem that needs to be addressed. He offers these questions to help us identify and deal with the sin of anger:
- Do you stretch and enlarge the category of anger so it includes you? I know a man who doesn’t think he is angry even though every hour or so he threatens to rip off someone’s head. His narrow definition of anger? An angry person actually rips off someone’s head. Since he only wants to rip off someone’s head, he isn’t angry.
- Have you enlarged the spectrum of your anger by filling in some of the details from the Sermon on the Mount? (Matthew 5:21-22) For example, at one extreme is murder, at the other is our internal muttering, “what a jerk.” What’s in between? Of course, everything on this spectrum is murderous.
- In the last six months have you confessed your sin of anger, to both God and the injured person?
- In the last six months have you asked those closest to you, “When have you seen me angry in the last few weeks?” When will you ask them? Is the real cause of your frustration/anger usually something or someone other than you? Do you understand the real cause is not “THEM” and is really “I WANT and I’m not getting what I want”? (James 4:1-10)
- Do you know that Jesus was never angry because of something done to him? Do you care?
- Are you ever wrong? Angry people, against all the odds, are nearly always right.
- “Do you have a right to be angry?” This is God’s patient question to Jonah.
Read the entire article HERE.
Find more help with overcoming anger in David Powlison’s mini-book Anger: Escaping the Maze.
Photo: Marek Bernat