“Live in harmony with one another.”
Even the most loving of couples will experience moments when the music of their home seems composed entirely of discordant tones. In difficult times of conflict, how can a husband and wife find their way back to harmony? Dennis and Barbara Rainey offer hope and help in their article “Six Steps for Resolving Conflict in Marriage“:
As difficult as it is to work through conflict in marriage, we can claim God’s promises as we do so. Not only does God bless our efforts based on His Word, but He also tells us He has an ultimate purpose for our trials. First Peter 1:6-7 tells us,
In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials, so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.
God’s purpose in our conflicts is to test our faith, to produce endurance, to refine us, and to bring glory to Himself. This is the hope He gives us—that we can actually approach our conflicts as an opportunity to strengthen our faith and to glorify God.
Dennis and Barbara offer practical advice on implementing these six steps:
- Step One: Resolving conflict requires knowing, accepting, and adjusting to your differences.
- Step Two: Resolving conflict requires defeating selfishness.
- Step Three: Resolving conflict requires pursuing the other person.
- Step Four: Resolving conflict requires loving confrontation.
- Step Five: Resolving conflict requires forgiveness.
- Step Six: Resolving conflict requires returning a blessing for an insult.
Read the entire article HERE.